This site is designed to support and
expand the Hillendale Health Curriculum.
Learning about how your body grows and
develops and how to take care of your body is an important
part of Hillendale Health class. Our growth and development
unit focuses on the changes that occur during adolescence
- The end of the large intestine which
connects to the anus. The solid waste is stored here
before it exits the body through the anus.
- The outside sac of loose skin under the
penis that holds the testicles.
- A milky white fluid made by the seminal
vesicles and prostate gland. This fluid mixes with the
sperm cells during an ejaculation. About a teaspoon of
semen comes out of the penis during an ejaculation.
- Seminal vesicle
- One of two glands located behind the
male bladder, which secrete a fluid that forms part of
- Sexual Intercourse
- The erect penis of the male entering
the vagina of the female.
- The tiny, tiny, tiny microscopic cells
produced by a male that contains the genes from the
father. A sperm cell from the father must join with an egg
cell from the mother for a baby to be created.
- The main male reproductive glands in
which sperm are produced. The testicles also produce the
main male hormone testosterone.
- A male sex hormone, which causes a
boy's body to develop into a mans. Testosterone is
responsible for more muscle mass, deeper voice, facial
- Umbilical cord
- A cord attaching the unborn child to
the mother. This cord comes from the placenta inside of
the uterus and attaches to the baby's abdomen. The
umbilical cord is the lifeline between mom and baby.
- A muscular organ about the size and
shape of an upside-down pear, located inside the body
between a female's hips. Also called the womb. This is
where the baby grows before it is born.
- The tube-shaped passageway that leads
from the uterus to the outside of the body.
- Vas deferens
- A thin tube that transports sperm from
the epididymis (the storage chamber attached to the back
of each testicle) to the urethra.
- The entire outside genital area of a
- Another name for the uterus. The place
where the baby grows and develops inside of the mother.
Glossary Top Glossary
A - P